I was having a conversation with my brother Frank before the holidays about 3D printing and he said that he couldn't get over the thought that you could 3D print the empire state building with all of the detailed interior, including people at their desks, furniture, etc. The part that flipped him out was that by the end of the print job, all of these things would be inside the building, but you couldn't see them or do anything about it. With that, I decided to make him a nice little box for Christmas that looks like this ---------------->
My remixed file can also be found on Thingiverse.com as thing:650446
I made some cute little reindeer for my grandkids based on a the Samspelt decorative sculpture I saw at Ikea. I made them as little puzzles just for fun. I posted one of my designs on Thingiverse as thing 567557.
I also found a pretty neat website where you can sell your 3d design files at www.Redpah.com. I have the doe available for free there too, and if you want the buck & doe designs, you can get them for just 99 cents. Later, I scaled them down to 33% and printed a whole herd of them as Christmas ornaments. They looked pretty cool on my unconventional Christmas Tree.
Finally, I designed and made a pretty cool looking birdhouse for my brother's girlfriend. This was definitely the most challenging piece I've ever attempted to design and print. I based this loosely on the lamp design that I had built previously.
The first challenge to overcome was getting the correct angle on the roof so that I could print it without support and not have any holes in the underside. Printing would start off well, but the closer it got to the peak, the smaller the print layers were. This meant that the previous layer was not very cool when laying the next layer on top of it. The result was that the previous layer would stick to the extruder and peel the layer off. After three attempts, I finally got an acceptable print. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty damned good.
Printing the base was really problematic. I had
You can find the design files for this as Thingiverse thing 652510. and on Redpah as product 1241. Not including the failed print jobs, this project is comprised of 2029 layers, uses over 50 meters of filament, requires 651,418 separate print commands, and takes 38 hours 47 minutes to print. You cannot print this on a standard Prusa i3 printer because the build height is 186mm (7.32 inches). My Prusa i3 design was modified to accommodate 230mm (9 inches) build height, and X3REX can print 254mm high (10 inches)